yesterday the artistic mood struck and i made this drawing/painting that i just fell in love with! i don't know if it's kosher for someone to say they love what they made, but i do, so i'm saying it...
i think this is the first thing i've made just for the heck of it in about 8 billion years.
or maybe 2.
i'm normally not motivated to create unless i'm making something for someone.
as i started drawing this i was thinking about the boy in the corner and how he looks like he's falling, but he doesn't need to be since he has wings... and he's surrounded by flying things that should give him a clue, but he's still just falling. and there's another guy over on the right that's holding on to a branch for dear life, but he has wings too.
right now i feel like i'm falling out of control, like i'm holding on to everything that i have to be holding on to, but there's too many things and they're starting to all slip out of my control.
i know the christian answer is to stop trying to be in control, just let 'jesus take the wheel', to 'let go and let god' :-)... but where's the balance? being a person with responsibilities, i still have to do things. i can't just sit here and stare at the wall.
i think for me personally, i just need some alone time. i'm surprisingly more introverted than i ever allow myself to be, and i lose myself in the people i'm around if i'm around them too much.
so my resolution for the day is to be alone as much as possible and use the time to do some purposeful sorting out of thoughts. we'll see how it goes.
3 comments:
Can I have it? No seriously, maybe you should set up a little online site to sell the stuff that you come up with "on a whim" - especially if you keep doing it, now that you know how good things turn out. You probably want to keep this one since you love it so much, but remember...my birthday is coming up! Just kidding. Oh, I am going to email you to ask you an afghan question. Not Afghanistan, afghan.
Very cool! Now if the next one you post is something dark and eerie, we'll be worried about Nick :-)
Keep radiating that happiness, it's contagious :-)
The proper term (that I coined by the way!) is "cave time". It is very common amongst us artistic types to require an inordinate amount of cave time in order to recharge so we can be the scintillating persons everyone has come to expect. If I don't get enough cave time, I am exceedingly grumpy and disoriented.
However, beware, extroverts will NOT understand our need for cave time. They will try to convince us that something is wrong with us because, after all, "people and parties energize ME!" (the extros). However, for us intros, while we enjoy people and parties, we come away "vanting to bee alooohne!" (read that with a Marlene Dietrich German accent).
Katy-Did, I have had to fight this battle my entire life with extroverts. Somewhere along the way, I stopped applogizing and trying to explain it to them or please them. Now I just give them my "teacher eybrow" if they give me any "lip" and then proceed to do what God has taught me to do for MY personality. They must do what they need for them...I must do what I need for me. Sound selfish? Nope...it would just be pretty 'tupid to ignore what God has taught me I need for physical, mental and emotional health.
So if someone doesn't "get it", then in the vernacular of my very Texan daddy, "They can just go butt a stump!" Of course, I will tell them that in the sweetest way possible and then retreat to the back of the cave!
Post a Comment