Monday, November 10, 2008

the saga of the bathroom... part 2

through this renovation process we've discovered a principle of life... whatever time you think something's going to take to accomplish, it will most assuredly take five times that long.

phase 1: tearing the subflooring out... 10 hours of two men (zack kuenzle is our new best friend - SO incredibly helpful!!) laboring extensively with crowbars.

phase 2: installing new subflooring and cement board to prepare for tiling... 8 hours.

phase 3: laying new tile... off and on for 3 days - nick mixing & cutting, me laying the mortar, tiles and spacers.

phase 4: tearing out beadboard, mudding, sanding, and scraping walls, then painting one small bathroom... 6 hours while nick's away at work.

of course none of these phases could happen consecutively what with our normal lives getting in the way. the tub, toilet & sink have been in the dining room for 8 days.

if it weren't so inconvenient it might be humorous...

today nick is doing phase 5: the grouting - so hopefully we'll be ready for phase 6: putting all the stuff back in, hooking up the pipes and finishing up last details this week!
that one sentence will most likely take another 10 hours to accomplish. especially since the 'finishing up last details' part means installing a chair rail and trim...
someday in the next month i'll post some pictures of the new and improved bathroom.

don't hold your breath.

7 comments:

allison said...

I am grateful that you have strong and skilled men to help you when you discover things like a leaking toilet :)

Jeff Roberts said...

Looks awesome, but what? No artsy mosaic? Oh, you wanted to USE that bathroom this year... :-)

Alyssa Spring Corley said...

Reminds me of our *little* remodel.

Laura said...

Awesome - I am very proud of you - you are so HGTV.

Unknown said...

yes, my brother is a machine--hard-working go-getter. I'm glad you had some help with the bathroom. Good grief! Eight days! Where in the world did you shower and use the toilet? Yuck. I know that transition phase is not fun; hope it is all finished now.

Grammy said...

Boy! Does that look nasty!! I'm sure the finished project is going to be beautiful, though!

I LOVE your pioneering sprit! Both of you! That Nick is a real JEWEL!

Casey Dawn said...

I'm assuming you all bathed at Erica's small abode?? That made for some good times, I'm sure!