Thursday, May 22, 2008

i'm going insane!!!!
not literally of course, but definitely very figuratively. as figuratively as can be imagined without it being literal.

today's the last day of school for the year, praise heavens above, but it seems that all the space in my brain that's had school stuff in it is being filled instantaneously with wedding stuff and financial stuff and planning stuff until that brain space has been crammed chock-full then has started spilling over the sides, making me want to cringe back into the safety of all that mild, non-threatening school stuff.
spare me from all the stuff!!!
someone!

okay, so i'm being overly dramatic.
the main concern at the moment is, as always, money. everything will be a-okay if we can refinance the house, as we're currently working towards doing. but the date when we'll know for sure, 100% that the loan went through and we're saved?
june 20th. yes, that's right, one week before the wedding.
how in all hades are we supposed to do anything remotely wedding-like with money we currently have (but that's needed to pay bills for the entire summer), hoping to be reimbursed with refinance money when there's a very small chance we WON'T be?! if we take the gamble and use the money we currently have but then DON'T get the loan, it will be time to just throw our hands up and surrender.
wave the white flag at all the forces of evil that are constantly hanging on our toes, pulling us down into the deep pit of financial wreckage. does anyone else feel like life is a constant financial battleground?!
i do.
i recently read 'total money makeover' and was inspired beyond belief, but it's a little difficult to put his extreme strategies into play when there's a wedding on the line.
as many people have advised at many different stages of the game, we really should just elope.

but no worries, we're not, all you who are driving many miles to come celebrate with us! and be not disheartened by my outcry that we won't enjoy the aforementioned wedding when you come to it -- oh yes, it will be a party of magnanimus proportions. mark my words.
that is, if the process doesn't kill us first.

8 comments:

Jeff Roberts said...

I cringe at the idea of more debt, but then again I understand - it's your wedding!

I've seen some young, penniless couples married at our church and one place I know they've skimped was on the decorations - no one cares about or remembers those anyway. And they had a lot of help from family and friends on the reception food.

Just some random ideas...if you're able to let people help in some way, they'll feel more like part of the wedding. They're not there to be dazzled by all the glitz, they just want to be part of your big day!

Corleyman said...

Yep, sis, I totally understand and totally agree! Finances can be such a huge stress and weight.

What God keeps hitting me over the head with right now is the priniciple that when we admit that we can't do it on our own -- that we are 100% dependent on Him to make the finances happen -- that's when He loves to pull out His wallet. :)

Rockin' Robin said...

1. BREATHE!!!
2. Breathe again...
3. Twila Paris...tap your toe and hear her in your mind singing..."God is in control..."
4. Breathe
5. Shout "wooHOO"!

Love you, kiddo and know that you are INDEED not alone or "the only one"!

Mrs. Sappington said...

You were such a God-send with my wedding and stresses... I know I am not as brillantly creative and thrifty as you are, but PLEASE, if there is anything at all I can do to help make your day perfect, just say the word. My day was just what I wanted, so I owe you BIG!

The Toplovs said...

Ah Kate, I think all of us previous MK's have struggled financially at some point, if not still. Zhenya and I had a very simple wedding. It's true, you can skim on decorations (flower are way too expensive at the shops), so you can marry in a natural setting or if inside...candles, candles, candles....

And food. Sure everyone loves to sit down to a main course meal, but it's not always realistic. To keep our guests from starving we bought those huge veggie, fruit and cheese platters from Costco. Our cake was really yummy too and then we served sparkling apple cider, water and hot beverages. It kept the cost down and filled noisy tummies. It may not have looked as nice, but when money is the issue you have to worry more about your overall finances than making every guest happy.

Grammy said...

Amen and amen to all that's been said! Hang in there, Sweetie!

Love you bunches!

Laura said...

I expect truffles to be fed to me from servants. Do NOT let me down.

Laura said...

But seriously, flowers from Sam's/Costco - I can help arrange them though I have no real skills - maybe you know someone who does. And food from friends. And borrow decorations from your church - I bet they have stuff??
And here is a refreshing idea...what is this day really all about? Impressing people? No way - it is all about celebrating you guys' love and commitment for each other.