
mohinder's favorite haunts include the front window, where he's mesmerized for hours by the complete lack of activity going on out there...

...and the bathroom, where he's intent on learning how to walk around the edge of the tub without falling off. so far he hasn't mastered the skill.
my favorite of his efforts includes trying to balance on the top of the dining room chairs. they're ladder-back style with a 1/4" thin strip of wood on the top. he's very determined.
i recently watched an episode of the office where jim keeps squirting dwight in the face with a water bottle to keep him from falling asleep when he's got a concussion. that enlightening episode combined with my disciplining tactics with mohinder have caused me to have a classroom management epiphany.
i'm seriously considering implementing the squirt bottle approach with my high schoolers.
they get disrespectful, i just squirt them in the face. they ignore me, a little watery reminder of my presence should do the trick.
what do you think?
creative and effective!
5 comments:
I LOVE THE WATER BOTTLE IDEA! Its recommended when training both dogs and cats... Why shouldn't it work just as effectively on high schoolers? And the beauty of training is that once they understand the quick consequence, they modify their behavior all by themselves! I recently read a book where they recommended training your children based on age... If a baby is biting you while nursing, or pinching, etc, then give their hair a quick little tug so they understand NO! With toddlers, they recommended "switching" them with a reed (or a wooden spoon if a reed is not handy!!). I'm sure both of these forms of discipline would be considered harsh by some (my sister!), but they really do work! And water is harmless...who could possibly have a problem with water?
I say GO FOR IT! You could call it Wespect with Water (you know, little Bugs Bunny would say it) and market it to all teachers!
So many discipline methods that we KNOW would work are viewed entirely differently by litigious parents! While you are comtemplating marriage, it might not be a good thing to be forced to contemplate a new job at the same time! Just 3 words...DON'T DO IT!!!! I used to have a Junior High School Science teacher that would bonk you in the head with an eraser if you turned around in your seat to talk or if you happened to try to get a snooze. I shudder to think how short his career would be in today's school environement! You may be asking, did you, Aunt Robin, ever get bonked by that surly teacher? Yep. And then I picked up the eraser and fired it back at him. I still don't quite understand why I got sent to the Principal's office and he didn't! For pete's sake, I was just being humorous. He didn't see it as such. Tee hee!
We need an update on the NEWEST news in your life. ;) Pictures of everything too!
kate, have you ever checked out this painting a day site?
Post a Comment