Tuesday, December 11, 2007

christmas!!!

the official christmassy feelings don't arrive for me until i smell that piney smell of the tree...
there's just something solid and real about that evergreen smell combined with the feel of the prickly greenery... and the sweet sounds of all those oldy songs... and the bright, twinkling of the lights.
it's all about the sensory intake.

this last weekend, erica & i (with token help from maren) decorated the house. it was a good day. i'm starting to really appreciate traditions. they hold life together in an undefinable way.

we finished off the day with some cookie decorating (and eating of course)...

next year, erica will be in china! we'll have to carry on our traditions with an ocean in between us...

but carry on, we will!

4 comments:

Alyssa Spring Corley said...

I'm very happy that you are finally appreciating traditions!!! I love them...but gosh, this year is so different in so many ways. First of all I haven't made any cookies....we got our tree earlier then normal....and Zac is working Christmas Eve. :(

Rockin' Robin said...

Hmm...your tree is so beautiful that is makes me sad I decided not to put mine up this year! And may I have one of those cookies, please?

Love you,

Aunt Robin

Mrs. Sappington said...

Fancy! And I'm with your Aunt Robin...you're tree is so pretty it makes me want to drag out all our stuff. But, alas, we will not. Anna's pulling up on EVERYTHING and if she knocks the tree down, I don't want any of our glass ornaments breaking. Instead, Emma and I are making all the ornaments to hang up this year. Its a sad looking tree, but it was designed by a two-year-old, so what I can expect? Be looking for pix on my blog in the next week or so!

The Toplovs said...

I am very impressed with your cookie decorating skills. Maybe you could dedicate a post to the recipe for these cookies and the frosting technique (especially the one in the middle).