Tuesday, September 11, 2007


good news, folks: my neck is not broken!

all day yesterday i was telling my students that i had a broken neck. it seems the more shocking the statement, the more sympathy is garnered.

i do, however, have classic whiplash, probably from that car accident a month ago. i didn't have any pain or symptoms of whiplash until yesterday when i woke up in so much agony, muscle spasms & neck pain that i could barely function. i went to school, but didn't do a whole lot of moving around.
then this morning i went to the chiropractor for the first time in my life! i'm glad to say that it was a very positive experience all around.
my chiropractor was very friendly, very helpful, educating me along the way, dispelling any horrible quackpractor stories i've heard (and they are many!). she caused my neck to make noises i've never heard coming from it before! it was rather startling.
she also took x-rays and explained that a normal neck has that natural c-curve (picture on the left) to support your head comfortably, but whiplash makes your neck straight (picture on the right). she showed me all the things wrong with my neck and said it'll take a good 3 weeks of getting adjusted every other day to get me back to normal.
that's a lot of adjustments!!

hopefully, the car insurance will have medpay which pays for chiropractic adjustments 100%. i'm waiting to find out if that's the case. otherwise i'll have to pay a $30 co-pay every visit.
that could add up. so keep your fingers crossed!

erstwhile, i'm going to enjoy the rest of this sick day by immobilizing myself on the couch and catching up on heroes, season 1.
that's what i like to call a good time.

2 comments:

Corleyman said...

Hey Sis ... had no idea you were a heroes fan! Me too for sure. Watching the latest episode is one of my religious ceremonies when the season is 'live'.

Hey, I've been following your blog via email (that 'subscribe' thingy on the right side of your blog) for a few months now and I've been meaning to call and say congrats on the serious boyfriend/almost engaged part of your life. Kristi and I would LOVE to catch up sometime, but I have no idea when.

Cool updates, though ... keep it up!

The Toplovs said...

I've been to the chiro. a good few times and still I am in horror of the cracking noises. I do hope, however, it will cure your straight neck. =)