
i've accomplished one of the things i want to do before i die.
garden of the gods has always been on my list, and for all the trips to colorado, you'd think i would have figured out a way to get over there by now!
it must have been meant for this trip.
nick and i drove out to colorado for a week to meet more of my family. i'll write more on the emotional/mental/spiritual experience of the visit later. i'll just say for now that it was really great.
i'm afraid to say we saw no gods on our adventure, but we did see the most beautiful of gardens -- if you can call gigantic red rocks a form of a garden. not only was the large perspective beautiful, but up close it was just as beautiful. i suppose you would call that the macro vs. the micro. both were breathtaking.
we may not have found any gods, but we definitely saw signs of one.




it's just impossible to adequately communicate the beauty -- pictures don't even do it justice -- i've seen them from time to time, and i tell you what, being there in person, it was so much more amazing.

i hadn't really thought about how many people would be there, or how civilized of walking paths they'd have around the area, but it was quite the tourist attraction. there were other trails leading off the paved walking paths though, so nick and i did a little off-roading and found some spots where there weren't crowds of amazed tourists.



after the hiking fun was over, we hit the nearest touristy towns to see what they had to offer. manitou springs is about 5 minutes away from garden of the gods, and it's the coolest little mini-town, tons of quaintness and cute stores. my favorite was the black cat book store -- they had window nooks full of pillows and chairs all around. it was very cool.
by the time we made it to the other little town close by there (old colorado city), nick and i were both tuckered out, so we found this quiet spot in the middle of the town park and read our books we'd just bought. there were stores and whatnot in that town also, but it just didn't measure up to the charm of manitou springs.

there are a bajillion more pictures from our trip and much more to be said, so i'll be giving you the installment version...
next, here on bate's klog, the psychological ramifications of taking a boyfriend home!
stay tuned.
3 comments:
Well, am glad to see that you were feeling adventurous on your trip out there. I remember when we went out there Zac and I had to drag you on our hiking trip....yet you and I kicked butt on the actual hike. Maybe it's because WE didn't stop to take 10 picture of one bumblebee. Anyways, can't wait to hear all about the "ramification...."
I rode a horse through this so called Garden of the Gods...I almost died at least 11 times! I was on a horse named Undertaker (ha ha) and he knew I didn't like him and decided to eat while we were supposed to be stepping down 3 foot drops. Stupid horse. Because of Undertaker, I'd be quite happy to never ride a horse again...ever. I'm glad your experience was more charming. :)
Hey, you are starting to annoy me with your perfect hair. But I can set that aside to tell you that it looks like your trip was a dream - and isn't a teacher's life great in some ways? Like summer?
Post a Comment