Friday, May 04, 2007

high school projects


here are the latest in finished products we've got going on in these here parts.
my art 1 students have been painting self-portraits, focusing on shapes of value and proportion -- getting everything in the right place and making it the right size...
autumn's is by far the best out of the bunch. she has a good deal of natural artistic talent and she puts it to good use.

jayme has talent as well, but doesn't put it to as much good use. he still turned out a nice self-portrait though.

debra is also extremely talented, but she hates this painting saying it makes her look like she's dying. it's true, she does look a wee bit sickly.

my art 2-4 classes have been working on clay projects this semester. these are pinch pots -- they make two little pinch pots then join them together to make a sphere. they then had to make their sphere into something creative.



another assignment they had was to create a slab pot with a lid of some sort...




for months and months of labor with over 100 students it seems a paltry collection of good pieces...
but alas, such is the way of high school art.
i just keep reminding myself it's not about the product, it's about the process. and it's about the relationships that are built along the way. they're what lasts.

5 comments:

Erica Joy said...

I love the self-portraits! Tell them, I love them!!! :) love YOU too!

Tim said...

Hey Kate, I'm pretty impressed with your art students. I'm also pretty impressed with the pictures you have of those two hot couples.

Alyssa Spring Corley said...

I like the guitar but to me the rest of em' look a little scary with the eyeballs and stuff.

Grammy said...

WOW! These things are REALLY good! You have some terrific students, but of course, they've had a pretty awesome teacher, too!

Jeff Roberts said...

I like the one that looks like the yolk peeking out of the egg. All the self-portratits are cool as well.