Friday, May 11, 2007

colony collapse disorder!!


after so recently discovering the sweet goodness of honey, you can imagine the dismay i felt at learning of this tragic phenomenon!!
not being a news-watcher myself, i've come to hear of these sad tidings only recently while i'm sure all of you have already been informed.
the question is, what are we going to do about it?!

maybe we could each start our own bee colony and treat the bee as an endangered species, then regift it to the farmers of america. maybe then we just might survive this potentially devastating syndrome. we might suffer from another syndrome as a result -- going-crazy-itis from having a bee colony in our houses... a step up from senioritis anyway.

let me know if you have any better ideas. in the meantime, enjoy your honey, fruit and nuts -- they might be all gone soon!

7 comments:

Mrs. Sappington said...

Interesting. Very interesting. But you know, you do have a nice sized backyard... I can totally see you taking on beekeeping as a hobby. And, hey - if you're interested, one of my friends from 1st Pres...her husband keeps bees.

I can see it now...

nick said...

I know somebody that could keep these bees of yours, someone that has little experience but has had some experience.

Erica Joy said...

experience in WHAT, that's the question! :) I propose that our small group take on raising bees this summer as a precursor to nick's commune! We can save the money we make to buy nick a barn on some land, which he can then make into a really cool house for the two of you to live in after you're married. then we can carefully move the bees to the land,when the barn is wife-ready, where we would all soon after move out to...thus, the commune. of course, we would then have to build our own homes, not live with you in the love barn. :)

Eastcoastdweller said...

It is indeed very sad. My dad, an amateur beekeeper, has lost all his hard-won hives to this strange thing.

Why can't cockroaches or fleas ever get slammed by such things?

JLW said...

YES! I knew you would LOVE honey! How could you not, right? I'm sad about this too - pretty soon Honey (along with Gas) prices will be sky high, then we'll be back on white sugar.

Jeff Roberts said...

Interesting - I came across this somewhat-related link on another site I frequent.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_5094.cfm

JLW said...

Yeah - Hey KATE! I've been reading some more about this and APPARENTLY no organic bees have had any problems yet! Gosh doesn't that make you sick? It does me, because I also read about all the things that they are doing to "regular" bees and it is horrid. Spraying them with chemicals, breeding them to be bigger, trying to enhance (speed up, really) their growth, all so they will produce more honey. All the while causing lots of weird side effects to the bees - hence, they die in a bizzare way.

Okay - I won't go off any longer. People always tell me I'm a hippie, but I think my point is proved when something like this happens!

Vive Raw HONEY! :)