'...generally God calls us to a way, not a place. He calls us to live a certain life...'
josh longbrake's dad
i've often felt that idea, but never really articulated it. all sorts of people seem to think god tells you what to do or not do specifically, especially when there's a big decision to be made.
as for me, i can honestly say that i've never felt god calling me in any one direction. i know there are people who claim he leads them in this way -- i can't speak from that perspective. i just know that from where i'm sitting, i always feel more called to a way of living, regardless of what decision i make. obviously, i'm going to factor in the 10 commandments and miscellaneous parables jesus gave out, but that's like the foundation to me. the living, active, breathing stuff of life comes in seeing a decision to be made, asking god for wisdom and discernment in that decision, taking time to hear from my heart -- if i really want to do it or not, and how much -- then just going for it and living in a way that glorifies god through that decision.
it changes the question from 'what does god want me to do?' to 'what way does god want me to live in whatever i do?'
that question fits much better.
in other news, if you want to read about the cinco de mayo high jinks we had, go see casey's blog for the story.
and in even other news, i almost broke my pelvis today, and i just have to say that i'll never take my bum for granted again.
so let it be written, so let it be done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I do believe God's will is more specific than that and try not to lean overmuch on my "own understanding" . If I didn't I think I would second-guess myself to death. That and I'd probably tend toward the path of least or most resistance, and probably the latter.
I will agree, though, that it matters just as much how you carry out that will and the way in which you live. There's not much profit in taking on every challenge you see if you trample over people in the process or fail to learn from those people and the experience.
love the thought and love the quote. I'm glad you have a bum to protect you from pelvic breaking. :) i love you friend and was happy we could have a conversation on Sunday about what's on my mind and heart. thanks for listening and giving your advice.
I really like your thought. It is so cool because I have often felt frustrated that God has never "called" me anywhere or "spoken" to me like you hear a lot of Christians talking about. It has been cool to see how God has worked wherever I was and used different people to work His plan out. I think we're making God too small when we try to say that there's some specific thing that you are supposed to do and if you don't do that than you're going to miss out on everything God has for you. It's very encouraging to know that God has empowered and given us the wisdom to make choices trusting that He will guide us and use us.
Post a Comment