Friday, April 20, 2007

commenting and conversing

i have a little wondering to share.

i completely love when ya'll comment, and always want to respond, like we're having a fun conversation, y'know? but i've been a bit confused about how that should happen... some people respond in their own comment box, but what if one of you comments and then never goes back and reads a response? or other people go to commenter A's page and respond to blogger A in their comment box, which then leaves a completely unrelated little subject for people to scratch their heads over ('what they heck are they goin' on about?' they might say as they scratch their heads...)

in case you're of the variety that doesn't go back into comment boxes you've already frequented, well just know that i did, in fact, respond to all of your lovely comments from my last post in my comment box.
i wonder if there's some way for comments to show up over on the side, like a chat room dialogue or something. hmm...

whoa, now i'm really tired of the word 'comment'.

hey, guess what?! i bought local honey yesterday and am so super jazzed about it! this sugar fast is much easier than i expected because of how delicious i'm finding honey and how empowering it is to think that i'm avoiding a harmful processed substance and might live a week or two longer in the end!! hurray! thanks for the tips, ashley.

tonight my good buddy casey and i are going to a the funnest, coolest event ever that i can't elaborate on because it's a surprise for her but i will be sure to take a gazillion pictures of and blog about on monday. (... and the run-on sentence nominee of the year goes to...) so get psyched about that with me, would you?

thanks.

i like you guys.

6 comments:

Zac said...

Yo sis, what's up? Just wanted to let you know that I'm getting back into the blogging scene. I took a little break (only 8 months), but I'm gonna keep up with it a little better now :), so you can begin to frequently visit my site, although I will be gone all weekend I'll add some stuff on Monday! Love ya!!

Zac said...

p.s. my site is insanemonkey11.blogspot.com

Mrs. Sappington said...

Hey Miss Kate! I love your subscribe link at the bottom of your site. Please please please call or write me to tell me how to put it on mine! I know there are directions on blogger, but believe it or not, I've read them about 5 times and I still cannot figure it out! HELP!

JLW said...

YES! I knew you would love the honey! I've been thinking about the comment thing too lately - I still don't know what is better.

The Toplovs said...

I'd like to say Kate that you're probably the best blogger I've come across. So faithful and so entertaining!

Jeff Roberts said...

I think I have seen a box on the side of some blogs where it shows recent comments...but I can't find one at the moment. If you use RSS feeds in Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox, I think there's a way to set up a feed for just the comments on a blog. (The blogger might have to check something to turn that comment feed on.)

Like you said, sometimes it depends on the blog. On one that I visit, the blogger writes a thought-provoking and sometimes controversial post, then finishes with a question. Everyone chimes in and he reponds to their responses in that comment stream, but everyone knows that's how it goes there and checks back. On other blogs, like yours, if the topic or the initial comments were particularly interesting - or if it's sort of a "question post", or if I asked a question in a comment, then I might check back a few times.

When I used blogger, it would send me an email even when I commented, so what I would do is reply as a comment to myself, then forward that email (with minor edits for clarity) to the person to whom I was responding. Except that not everyone makes their email address available. And if there's a setting for that in Wordpress, I haven't found it yet.