Monday, September 04, 2006

soccer!!

last night was so glorious!! we got a bunch of people together and played a bit of soccer and it was so great!! i'd forgotten how much i love it. did i mention it was fun?!
lately i've just had soccer on the brain -- i keep thinking we should start up some sort of intramural soccer at the high school i teach at, or at least get people together more often -- maybe join a city league or something.

soccer is in the same part of me that speaking spanish is. this may not make sense, but when i speak spanish it brings back a whole world of culture and growing up and people, like turning the channel in my brain to mexico... soccer is the same way -- it brings up all the practices and games and friends from high school. it's strange how life gets compartmentalized like it does -- each chapter has its own flavor and smell and texture. the smallest sensory reminder can take you back to that time like it was yesterday.

all that to say, i miss playing soccer. i think the last time was actually during intramurals in college that fateful night when i tore my ACL... that was over 4 years ago! it's high time to get back in the game.
it's just not as easy to find a game to get back into when you're a 28 year old art teacher :-)

3 comments:

Jeff Roberts said...

See - there ya go. Who needs eHarmony when you can join the city soccer league and enjoy fun and exercise while scoping out the local talent? And in that environment, a gal who can drop a line like "when I tore my ACL" instead of "oh, I broke a nail"? Need I say more.

Alyssa Spring Corley said...

I agree...I miss being able to play soccer. It didn't matter how good I was or not...it was just plain fun.

Zac said...

AAAAAAAARRRRRIIIIBBBAAAAAA Futbol!!!!!!

Ya, what would I do in life without soccer?????? I need to play more as well, I've taken a break from playing to let my hamstring heal, but at least I coach and play with the little guys :).
Hey, check out my blog, new pics!!!! Sorry to hear about the 'ol gallbladder....Alyssa had hers taken out when she was 17 :).